A "Semi-Custom" Compact Spinnerbait.

The first person that said "You can't have too many choices" must work for a lure manufacturer these days. It seems that every time a new design comes onto the fishing scene and becomes the new "hot" bait, every major lure company comes out with a similar lure. It doesn't matter if it's the Floating Minnow (Rapala) Soft JerkBait (Slug-O, and later Fluke) Suspending Jerkbaits (Rogue and Husky Jerk), or the newer "hot lures" like Swimbaits (soft and hard) , the Senko, or even Wakebaits or Glidebaits, as soon as new lure proves itself imitations are soon to follow. Spinnerbaits have been around long enough that the "new" has long since worn off, but they continue to be such versatile and productive category that every major lure maker has some style of spinnerbait in their offerings, if not several.

Many younger anglers probably don't know spinnerbaits were one of those "hot" lures, but if it's any consolation, it was before my time too. There were other "spinner lures" like the Shannon Twin Spin, but they were more of a cult or regional choice than a phenomenon. Spinnerbaits became such a productive and popular lure that not only does every large lure maker offer several, but there a many custom spinnerbait makers that do a steady business on the premise of everyone has their own idea of what the "perfect" spinnerbait is. So you're thinking "Why tinker with a lure when you can just order whatever odd combination you think is your  "Killer" Spinnerbait?" Maybe you like to tinker, or maybe it's just more convenient to alter a lure you can buy locally for cheap, or maybe you're so picky you can't find the exact one you have your heart set on. All of those reasons are why I like to make a compact spinnerbait from components readily available to me. I still order some special models ready to go, but for a lot of my compact spinnerbait needs I make this one.

WHY COMPACT?
For most of my Bass fishing in either Smallmouth rivers, our smaller lakes, or the White River chain of reservoirs I prefer a compact spinnerbait. I've found the smaller size works as good if not better in almost every situation, the only exception being when heavy rain has both raised the water level and made it murky to downright muddy. Under those conditions the larger presentation of a standard spinnerbait is often a better choice, especially in reservoirs. This isn't set in stone, I use a compact spinnerbait with willow-leaf blades in rivers even if it's muddy, the smaller size and more streamlined blades make controlling the lure around cover in heavy current easier, and sometimes it out-fishes the bigger model in reservoirs, too.  There are many different compact spinnerbaits available, but due to years of fishing these lures I've settled on three things a spinnerbait must have:
IS IT "COMPACT"?
First and foremost is the size. If I want a compact spinnerbait, it better be the right size, that is, "compact". Not teeny-tiny like the Strike King Mini King or the 1/8-ounce Booyah "Pond Magic" or the littlest Stanley Wedge, but no bigger than most company's 1/4-ounce model.
THE HOOK.
The spinnerbait must have a premium hook. Mustad, Gamakatsu, Owner, Matzuo, it really doesn't matter to me as long as it's a good one. I used the Terminator Custom Tungsten spinnerbait for years but was never really happy with the hook Terminator uses on that bait. It's O.K. - but not perfect, especially considering how nice the rest of that particular lure is. Here's the deal on a spinnerbait hook: There's no way to change out the hook on a standard spinnerbait. You simply have to start with a new lure if it's bent or broke beyond straightening or sharpening. So the hook is the heart of a good spinnerbait.
THE DETAILS.
I like a good paint job on the head of the lure. Nice holographic eyes help, too. It probably doesn't make a difference to the fish (and gets chipped and faded after a little use anyway) but I like it. That's one reason why I don't like the War Eagle spinnerbaits as much as most other folks. The plain silver heads look "unfinished" to me. It probably doesn't matter to the fish one bit, but like all fishing, it's a confidence thing. And yes, I know one of my favorite jigs, the Booyah Baby Boo, doesn't have eyes or other details like some other jigs.
Sue me for not being consistently rational.

One spinnerbait I've been using is the Strike King Li'l Mr. Money you can buy at your local mega-store. You know the one. Don't want to buy it there? You can buy basically the same spinnerbait from Bass Pro, but over there it's the Kevin VanDam Spinnerbait, the 3/16-ounce model. It'll set you back a buck more for that one, but they do throw in trailer hook, which doesn't come with the "Mr. Money" version. Either way, the compact size is great, the hook is a good one, and the paint job on the head is pretty good. I buy the one from the mega-store because I like a couple of different aftermarket blades better than the stock one that comes on the VanDam model, and the one dollar savings more than pays for the aftermarket spinner blade I've been using.

Even that has a wrinkle though - the willow leaf spinner blades I've been using come from Bass Pro, so it's ironic that I don't buy their version of the same spinnerbait at that store, but I do go there to get the spinner blades to put on that same lure bought somewhere else. All good fly tiers and tackle tinkerers know this drill. It may not make sense to the outside observer, but by God, you are going to get what you want, even if you seem to be way too picky in the pursuit of fish you will let go after catching them on a lure you obsessed about making.

First, a look at the stock "straight-out-of-the-package" view of this lure
The stock 'Li'l Mr. Money"
You'll need lead wire, or thin (non-rosen core!) solder. A little super glue is a must, also. A pair of split ring pliers are nice, but anything from needle-nose pliers to your trusty Swiss Army knife will work in a pinch. Last, but not least, you need a replacement blade, I like the XPS Custom Willow Leaf blades, in the #3.5 and #4 sizes.
First, I change the blade out, this one is getting the bigger #4 size.

The replacement blade adds more flash.
Then you wrap the lead wire around the hook shank. A fly/jig tying vice is nice, but not necessary.
Wrapping the lead around the hook shank.
You can add underwraps of fly tying or rod building thread to the hook for a better foundation, but I mostly don't.

Coat the wraps with the super glue, and let it dry for at least several hours, and overnight is better. You're done! Now about trailers. This lure comes with the "super skirt" or "tux-and-tails" type skirt that the tackle companies often say eliminates the need for a trailer. Now, I like a trailer, specifically a curly tailed grub in an appropriate size and color. Whatever trailer you like to use, the lead wire wrapped around the hook shank makes sliding it in place a little tough. You have to use a little water as a lubricant to slide it over the lead without ripping it. Then when it fits well enough, a tiny dab of super glue will help hold it in place. I know someone who uses a small hollow punch to "core" their plastics in cases like this, but I'm not that particular. I do like a good trailer, I mostly use Kalin 5" grubs, but have used others, like the discontinued XPS realistic grubs Bass Pro used to sell. I stocked up, so I have a few if I want to use them for some contrast.
The completed spinnerbait.

I used to get Terminator Willow blades from Cabelas, and although I like their unique shape and "thump", they had a tendency to fall down around the hook, skirt, and trailer right at the beginning of the retrieve. This would sometimes ruin a perfectly executed cast by not spinning correctly due to getting caught in the skirt and need a sharp pull to get it spinning. The larger #4 XPS blade has done that to me occasionally, but not to the extent that the Terminator blades did. It's worth using the bigger blade, even with the hassles - it just flat out catches fish! The combination of compact size with the added weight and willow blade allows a very fast retrieve, which most of the time gets more reaction strikes in our clearer water.
As for colors, I like white anytime, murky water or clear, but let the fish tell you what they want. I use firetiger mostly in off color water, and lean toward white/silver baitfish colors in clear water, but for Smallmouths in current, I think the hotter colors work best, with all white coming in second.
What kind of tackle do I use to throw this little beauty? It's basic casting gear, a medium action rod (usually 7') and a high speed retrieve reel spooled with 10/40 Stren Superbraid. I got a good deal on a big spool of it, and it works, what can I say. I use the Uni knot to tie it direct to the end of my braid, but I go around the wire of the spinnerbait twice before making the Uni Knot, like is shown HERE at the PowerPro.com home page.
There's some guy trying to claim he invented this knot and is calling it the "Fish'n Fool" knot. I've used it on braided line about forever, so "Fool" is an apt title for this guy. Anyway, that's about it. There's my super-secret fish catchin' compact spinnerbait. Until I find another one I like better.